The research Center aims at obtaining meaningful results in economic theory and empirical research.
The research is based on a new class of models of market systems with free entry.
Our main goals
- the study of new possibilities of the monopolistically competitive markets under removal of restrictions on the constant elasticity of substitution between goods in consumption;
- extended analysis of the model of monopolistically competitive markets by including it in models of endogenous growth and multi-product output;
- study of the nature of asymmetric solutions agglomeration model of core-periphery type;
- empirical study of Russian interregional and international trade accounting for heterogenity of firms, sectors and trade flows;
- development and testing of computable general equilibrium models in the regions.
The paper "Market size, occupational self-selection, sorting, and income inequality" by MSSE academic advisor Kristian Behrens co-authored with MSSE associated researchers Dmitry Pokrovsky (HSE - Saint Petersburg) and Evgeny Zhelobodko has been accepted for publication and the Journal of Regional Science.
The paper "Cournot, Bertrand or Chamberlin: Toward a reconciliation" by MSSE chief research fellow Jacques Thisse co-authored with MSSE associated reseachers Mathieu Parenti (Université Libre de Bruxelles), Alexander Sidorov (Sobolev Institute of Mathematics, RAS) and Evgeny Zhelobodko has been published in the International Journal of Economic Theory.
Center for Market Studies and Spatial Economics invites young economists with a PhD and PhD students expecting to graduate in the 2016/2017 academic year to apply for postdoctoral positions.
Application deadline in March 15th, 2017.